4.26.2014

My How Natures' Grown!

Long flat blades with no nodes= Sedges!
Found near the creek. Wetland species.

4/25/14      3:00pm      60*F                   Mostly Cloudy

Only 2 weeks later my observation site looks like an entirely different park! I know that this is partly due to the changes in plants but it is in part due to my own changes in perspective. I am able to identify a lot more species now. For example I can now confirm that my observation site is directly under a grand fir tree (not a western red cedar like I'd thought based on its branch formation). I can also recognize the diverse combination of trees that are designated to this area. Just in 20 feet I see douglas fir, grand fir, big leaf maple, baby grand firs, western red cedar, and several shrubs. After visiting the old growth forest I've noticed the very different species of moss here. The bird sounds have also changed since I was here last. I haven't heard the eaglets yet but i did hear a wood pecker for the first time. The area is full of songs though. Unfortunately I forgot my binoculars and am not able to get a better look at the world above (a mistake I won't repeat). I did, however, get a look at the crows nest I seen in the process of construction three weeks ago. It appears to be completed and is not under constant surveillance. I also hear other baby bird sounds above. Eggs must be hatching and Madrona Park is quickly becoming a bird nursery. Another thing I noticed after visiting the old growth forest is the youthfulness of this natural area. The entire forest floor is covered with new offspring of species ad even the tallest of trees appears to be in its adolescence. I have throughly enjoyed the newfound ability to identify all that I am surrounded with. Today I was even fortunate enough to get a verbal piece of natural history. One of the trail walkers that came by has lived in the area for over 49 years! He said that he'd seen the redemption of the natural area of Madrona Park. The trails were not walkable until about 6 or 7 years ago. He said that different groups came in and cleared the trails and restored the creek that runs through. He even told me the story of his wife catching a very rare glimpse of a Wilson's Snipe in the trails one day. It was a great passing conversation that added a rich new perspective to my day's observations.

Horse tails found near water and creek not high
in trail. Very short (10") and found in clusters.
Contains long pines and base is hollow
Evidence of a diverse bunch! A big leaf
maple leaf and a Douglas fir cone. Note
the tight shape and small size
 of the Douglas fir cone with and
the size of the maple leaf (7")

Lysichiton Americanus or
more commonly known as
skunk cabbage flowers
early and remains as leaves
that look like big (11") greens
on the forest floor.
Dicentra Formosa a.k.a the bleeding heart
flower. These purple flowers look like hearts
with 3-5 hanging off a single stem. Leaves
resemble that of ferns each with 4 lobes.

One of the more common plants in the PNW. Salal has
leathery green and reddish leaves that are oval
in shape. It is a shrub that can be found flowering in the
spring with pink and white urn shaped flower patterns.
















No comments:

Post a Comment