4.11.2014

The More I Visit the More I See!

4/11/2014        2:00pm         Partly Cloudy      60°F

Another beautiful day at Madrona Park. I noticed and walked through some swamp lands on the other side of the park today. Walking to my observation location I noticed some changes. The vegetation is just a little fuller and the opening of different ferns have come quite a ways in the past week. I noticed more big fat black bees out today checking in on the flowers. Today the tree I sit under for observation has caught the interest of several bushtits. I don't know what they are looking for in the branches of this pine but there are at least 8 of them. they have a noticeable abrupt chirp and a sort of sucking sound as the communicate with one another. I was also greeted with the warm cries of the eaglet in the tree next door. it's call has changed significantly since last week. Then, it sounded like a seagull and today it sounds more like an eagle (a baby eagle of course). I have yet to get a good look at him or her and I look forward to coming back next week with my binoculars. I have also began to notice the diverse range of trees in this area. I have found several grand







firs, madrones, and cedar trees all tucked closely together in the Madrona walking trail. I look forward to learning more about the trees and all the other plants of my observation site and for the deeper understanding of the ecology in this little natural forrest.  Hold on… I think I just heard another eaglet in a tree in the opposite direction of the other one! I can't be sure at the moment. I have yet to miss the mother eagle of the first eaglet and seeing two would be truly incredible. I am also watching a crow work diligently building a new in the big leaf maple across the path. One builds as the other stands watch (or is just lazily watching!). I also noticed more fungi today. I can't yet tell if it is all the same species but most of it has the tendency to stick out the side of logs kind of like a step up or a little saucer that flew into a slab of wood. I have begun to feel a deeper level of comfort and familiarity here. I have also found that hearing man made contraptions, such as cars, boats, and airplanes, is really annoying and the bustle and noise of the natural forrest is much more charming to my ears and mind. 




Crow building nest

No comments:

Post a Comment